Thursday, August 21, 2014

Surgery Survival 101

I noticed I haven't done a surgery survival post yet! What am I thinking! I searched far and wide for a very specific Piper Patient surgery supply list, and it was nearly impossible! 

When I arrived at the hospital for surgery, everything went very fast. We got checked in, were moved upstairs, my mom french braided my hair (you have to keep it out of your face), and then I was pulled back to get my IV and medications and get all cozy in my HEATED hospital gown. So here is a list of things I brought,  and things I wish I brought.

For you Caretaker or Friends/Family that accompany you:

-A blanket/pillow to sleep during your surgery (if they can), and overnight.

-Something to keep them entertained. Books/computer or IPad with movies/games/snacks. The last thing you need is for them to be nervous little worrywarts during the whole surgery!

-A packed dinner if they don't want to eat the hospital food.


For YOU:

-A blanket. (good for before AND after surgery)

-A really cozy change of clothes. they can unhook the IV (without taking the needle out and putting it back in) so you can change into something much comfier than a hospital gown.

-Slippers with grip on the bottom, in case you don't want to wear the hospital socks. Also some socks of your own are nice to have. 


-I brought a white board and dry erase markers, but I really wish I would have thought of my doodle board then. it is not messy at all, and very easy to use and carry around. But all in all, bring something to help you communicate, be it a doodle board, white board, chalkboard, or pen and paper. You don't want to have people trying to interpret your moans and groans for 20 minutes when all you want is some water.

-I really enjoyed having my stuffed animal I got from a surgeon of mine when I was 5. When I was in recovery, I was crying and complaining that I couldn't breathe, (I was just being dramatic) and Dr. Piper brought me back my teddy bear! That's my only memory from recovery, and its a darn good one.

-I usually slept between hall walks, but when I was up, I wanted to play games with my parents and boyfriend. We didn't bring cards or anything like that, so we played hangman on my white board, but I really wish I would have brought a deck of cards!

-The hospital provides a sort of lip balm, but I really wish I would have brought my own, because theirs is very watery and clumps up when it dries. I have found after trying many different things, that EOS balms work the best for me.

-Bring the heating pad you picked up with your other prescriptions, and make sure to replace your ice when it all melts. The nurses were good about checking in, so we rarely had to leave the room for new ice.

-Bathroom essentials (deodorant, soft toothbrush, toothpaste) were very nice to have. I felt a little gross after being in the hospital overnight.

-Bring a free-standing mirror. You're going to want to look at yourself. A lot. Or at least I did. I got this Mary Kay pink travel mirror. It holds your hooks, rubber bands, a mirror, and your splint. It sells for $3 on amazon.

-The hospital will supply your nutritional drinks and water and syringes, tissues, an ice pack, and wash cloths.

MAKE SURE YOU DON'T EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING PAST MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR SURGERY AND GOOD LUCCCKKKK!

 Enjoy a few of my photos, including some of the stuff on my survival list!
Xx

A change of clothes 
Slippers and socks (this is the leg gear that they make you wear to avoid blood clots)  
My white board to communicate and play games
My fuzzy blanket that my boyfriend stole while I went out for one of my walks. 
And just a picture of me a few days post op, for your enjoyment ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment