Tuesday, August 19, 2014

First Day

So, today was the last first day of high school for me. It's scary, growing up. I used to want to be grown up, and now all I want is to be that chubby cheeked five year old that talked to butterflies and bounced around in pig tails singing silly songs. But that's life, right? 

So for the TMJ related stuff; I managed to get second period marked as an "off-period" so I can run home, eat, brush my teeth and do my exercises. Then for 5th period I have an hour of lunch, so I can Eat and socialize and what not, and then I don't have an 8th period either, so I get to go home and get it out one more time before dinner. I really enjoy being on a set schedule, because it makes dealing with my splint much easier. 

As far as talking goes, I am not having much luck in the classroom setting. I feel a little embarrassed when the teachers make me introduce my self and give the class one interest fact about me. 
My statement is usually "I'm Emily, and I can't talk very well because I had jaw surgery"

I have no clue how many people just smiled and nodded because they had no clue what I said. I don't blame them. I'm not yet comfortable pulling out my doodle board to communicate.. Not for such small amounts of sharing.. It might become useful by next week. 

Many of my teachers handed out a syllabus that we had to return with our info, and on the bottom they ask "is there anything special that I should know about you". To avoid any future conflict, I write about exactly what the surgery is, why I got it, and the stages of recover, and my physical limitation due to the surgery. I'm sure they will all understand. 



On a super side note- 
My three month appointment is on September 3rd, and I am so nervous. I've never been nervous for "just-a-checkup" before, but when I think about it my stomach ties in knots and I feel really anxious. But I'm sure all is and will forever be well :) 

Hope everyone going back to school is having a good time 

(First day of senior year photo) 
Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment