Wednesday, June 4, 2014

getting the hang of things


Wow. It has been a rough week, but somehow i managed to make it through. so here's how it goes:

  • you get your surgery
  • you stay the night in the hospital to make sure you're fine
  • when you're released, you see the chiropractor (which is actually my favorite part)
  • eventually you'll get to take your splint out for fifteen minutes, five times a day
  • you have to do two exercises
  • you get to eat, but you can't chew (not even with your tongue)
  • take your meds, and drink your fluids. 


seems super easy right? well for some people, it may be a piece of cake, but not for everyone. when i go back to visit piper (almost every day a week post-op) there's another girl who had her surgery on the same day as me, so we're kind of on the same schedule. her surgery was the same, except she did not get her wisdom teeth out (which i am coming to realize makes a big difference in recovery).

Well, we were talking to her father about how she's doing (she's doing great) and he said she LOVES coming out of the splint. wow. now that surprised me. almost every single time i have come out of that splint, i have been in tears. its very strange because your range of motion is little to none, but it hurts me so bad, that i would rather stay in the splint forever. (just kidding, ha ha ha)

night 3, post-op is when things started getting a little crappy. the day was fine, i was great, i even went to the movies with my boyfriend (and fell asleep), and when i got home, i was a WRECK. i was in so much pay, and i was crying and it was bad. my boyfriend (who i need to say has been the best. super supportive, and super loving and caring and amazing) stayed with my for a while that night. him and my mom calmed me down, my boyfriend stayed for a while and let me fall asleep with him, and snuck out silently.

a MAJOR MAJOR part of this recovery, is having helpful and supportive people  around, who can handle your medication schedule, and your pain and emotions, and keep you active (because unfortunately you can't sleep more than an hour each day). My mom and DJ have been those people. they've been with me since i entered the hospital, and i know i am a high-maintenance pain in the ass, but they work with me and are still so supportive, and understanding.

Today i woke up, in a little bit of pain, but i took out my splint, ate (swallowed) some oatmeal, brushed my teeth, flushed my wisdom teeth holes, took my meds, drank some fluids, did my exercises, put the splint back in, and I'm actually doing great. its my best morning so far, and I'm praying things are just going to get better from here.


SO. sorry for the really long post about everything and nothing. YOU READY FOR SOME MORE PICTURES? ill post some before and afters, and some fun videos in the next few. ENJOY <3

1 comment:

  1. Yess!!!!! Thats me hahah! Emily we need to get in contact. You'd love all the stupid things I have been doing with this new mouth we've got.

    ReplyDelete